We Asked a Simple Question: “Why are you here?”
"Why are you here?"
I was asked this question a couple of years ago. It is a question that is meant to have an easy answer and yet I found myself at a loss for words when I tried to answer it. The concept is simple enough. However, as I started thinking about what the question actually meant and what it was actually asking, it started to take on a life of its own.
Of course, "here" could be anywhere and it’s different for everyone. However, beyond that notion of location, we have to take into account that "here" also means being in the present; being in the ‘now’ which makes "here" not just a place on a map but also a place in time.
Knowing why we are "here" gives us the most concrete and basic thing we can know about ourselves, which is, that there’s a reason for us being where ever were are in our lives.
For artists and designers, knowing why we are "here" is especially important since it’s the kind of knowledge that can give purpose and meaning to our work.
For this piece, I asked previous contributors and friends of Six Revisions and Design Instruct to answer the question: "Why are you here?"
The writers could answer the question in anyway they like. It could be several sentences long or it can be just a single word. Their answer could be funny and clever or inspiring and deeply profound.
Below, you’ll find some of the answers I got from this exercise along with a sampling of their favorite works.
Click on the image below to see the full size of the graphic.
Special thanks to:
- Francisco Inchauste of FINCH
- Shannon Noack of Snoack Studios
- Zena Santos
- Tyler Denis of Denis Designs
- Jacob Cass of Just Creative Design
- Jan Cavan of Dawghouse Design Studio
- Miguel Cardona of Dumbwaiter Design
- Matthew Heidenreich of Devise Function
- Richard Carpenter of HV-designs
How about you? What’s your story? Why are you here? Share with us in the comments section.
- 40 Useful and Creative Infographics
- 10 Revealing Infographics about the Web
- Performance Comparison of Major Web Browsers
- Related categories: Infographics and Graphic Design
About the Author
This was published on Mar 4, 2010