37 Free Design Resources for UI Designers
Get ready designers: Here are some excellent free UI design resources for you. In this post, you’ll find top-quality UI kits, icons for your designs, and beautiful fonts.
Even the most talented creative professionals in the world wouldn’t be able to reach their peak performance potential without the right tools, support materials, and resources.
The good news is that there are plenty of high-quality design resources that are freely available for you to download and use. The world is full of talented people who create beautiful, practical, and reusable design solutions that they then share to the design community at no cost to the end-user. Their efforts truly help ease the workload of other designers. Using these design freebies can help speed up your design process and boost your productivity.
We’ve rounded up plenty of terrific design freebies over at Visual Hierarchy. Below, we’ve highlighted a few resources that you can get from our site.
Free UI Kits
UI kits are often a result of researching and implementing popular, reusable, and effective design patterns.
UI kits typically have a lot of components that you can use in your designs, such as buttons, sign-up forms, navigation menus, and so forth. They will definitely save you a lot of time and will help you build sophisticated UI designs more rapidly.
Here are some of the best free UI kits we’ve found:
UX specialist Aurora Bedford outlined the benefits of using icons in user interfaces in her article, Icon Usability. These benefits are:
- Icons make good targets: they are typically sized large enough to be easily touched in a finger-operated UI, but also work well with a mouse cursor (in contrast to words, which can suffer from read–tap asymmetry on touch screens).
- Yet they save space: icons can be compact enough to allow toolbars, palettes, and so on to display many icons in a relatively small space.
- Icons are fast to recognize at a glance (if well designed) — particularly true for standard icons that people have seen and used before.
- There is no need to translate icons for international users, provided that the icons are mindful of cultural differences (for example, mailboxes look very different in various countries whereas envelopes look the same, therefore an envelope is a more international icon for an email program than a mailbox).
- Icons can be visually pleasing and enhance the aesthetic appeal of a design.
- They support the notion of a product family or suite when the same icons and style are used in several places.
In other words, icons allow us to tell important stories with nothing but cute and tiny images.
The task of finding the right icons for your design is daunting because there are so many icon sets to choose from. Here are a few awesome free icon sets that we’ve featured on our site:
When it comes to typography, you have to look for the right fonts to suit the goal and theme of your design. Good fonts are readable. Beyond that, they should effectively convey the intended message of your design.
Check out and download these beautiful free fonts:
Head over to our site to find more awesome free design resources.
Read These Next:
This was published on Aug 10, 2016