User interface design patterns are solutions to common design challenges, such as navigating around an app, listing data or providing feedback to users.
Mobile apps and sites have unique UI design requirements because, compared to their desktop counterparts, they’re used in smaller screens and, at least with today’s modern mobile devices, rely on fingers instead of a keyboard and mouse as input mechanisms.
Whether you’re designing a mobile app UI for the first time or in need of specific design solutions, these mobile UI design pattern resources will surely help!
Mobile UI Patterns is a great site to visit to see common mobile UI design patterns such as activity feeds and notifications. The patterns are organized into 20 categories so that you can easily find what you’re looking for.
2. Inspired UI
3. lovely ui
This design pattern gallery is a supplement to UX designer Theresa Neil’s mobile design pattern book published by O’Reilly Media. This gallery features an anti-patterns section featuring UI design techniques to avoid. You can also view the design patterns on Flickr.
Over 30 mobile UI design patterns (e.g. splashscreens and walkthroughs) are featured on pttrns, a gallery site with large screenshots and a clean interface. The site is by Robin Raszka (founder of popular iOS development firm Tapmates) and chemiX.
This site seeks to present notable mobile app UI patterns from exceptional iPhone and iPad apps. Patterns of Design is by Will Simons, a freelance UX designer and project manager.
This blog by German technologist/developer/Android user Juhani Lehtimaki publishes posts that cover Android UI design patterns. In each post, a design pattern is discussed and relevant screenshots from mobile apps are included.
10. Official Developer Documentation of Mobile Operating Systems
Mobile OS manufacturers typically have official docs geared for professionals developing for their platform. These docs often include guides on UI design patterns.
- For Android, check out Android Design’s Pattern section.
- For iOS app designers, see iOS Human Interface Guidelines in the iOS Developer Library.
- Designing for Nokia phones? Head over to Nokia Wiki’s Mobile Design Patterns.
- Mobile Web Design: Best Practices
- Building Mobile Web Apps the Right Way: Tips and Techniques
- A Quick Look at Mobile Web Designs
- Related categories: User Interface and Design Inspiration/Showcase