In the heydays of the internet – when Google wasn’t the only search engine people used to seek information on the web – web surfers (I bet you haven’t heard that term in a while) had several options for finding what they needed on the net.
This article harks back to the days of AltaVista, HotBot, and when Ask was still Ask Jeeves. You’ll see how the web designs of ubiquitous search engines of the past have evolved through time. Put your nostalgia hats on as we travel back to the ancient times of the internet!
Ask Jeeves (now Ask.com)
MSN Search (now Bing)
Infoseek (now Go.com)
All the Web
What was your favorite search engine (before Google)? How did search engines affect you in the early days of the web? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments.
* Screenshots courtesy of the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
- 10 Promising Free Web Analytics Tools
- 12 Useful Web Tools for Designers
- 12 Excellent Tools for Picking a Domain Name
- Related categories: User Interface and Web Design